The exterior of the Salt Lake Temple has remained largely unchanged since it was first dedicated in 1893. The building is constructed of granite quarried from Little Cottonwood Canyon, located 20 miles (32 km) southeast of Salt Lake City. The exterior stone is covered with quartz monzonite and surrounded by four spires ranging in height from 100 to 210 feet (30 to 64 m). At the corner of each spire is a statue representing one of the four evangelists, Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. The Salt Lake Temple stands about 30 percent taller than any other LDS temple in existence.
The grounds around the Salt Lake Temple are landscaped with trees and shrubs, and a reflecting pool is located in the center of the main plaza. There are also gardens, fountains and statues found throughout the grounds which enhance its beauty even further.
The interior of the Salt Lake Temple is just as impressive as its exterior with hand-painted murals on the walls, hand-carved figures and sculptures throughout, and gold leaf mosaics. The temple is also home to many other features including the Tabernacle organ and choir which have been used for television broadcasts of music specials and general conferences.
The interior of the Salt Lake Temple features seven rooms including an assembly room, baptistery, circulating library, celestial room and a sealing chamber. The Celestial Room is considered one of the temple's most sacred rooms with its ornately painted walls and vaulted ceiling.